A SHAMAN

"A SHAMAN ... KNOWS THERE IS A SEA OF CONSCIOUNESS THAT IS UNIVERSAL EVEN THOUGH WE EACH PERCEIVE IT IT FROM OUR OWN SHOES, AN AWARENESS AND A WORLD THAT WE ALL SHARE, THAT CAN BE EXPERIENCED BY EVERY LIVING BEING, YET IS SELDOM SEEN BY ANY."



(VILLOLDO AND JENDRESEN)



The four winds

Monday, September 13, 2004

IT´S SPRING!

IT´S SPRING!
Brazil is a tropical country; I´m not sure you know what it means. Well, it means that it´s NEVER too cold or uncomfortable to go out. Every child is taught about the four seasons, but they are so similar (the seasons) that you can hardly tell one from the others. Summer is usually TOO hot and Winter is never really cold. Spring is a good time for planting - I know that because I have a garden, but people who live in apartments don´t take notice of being Spring or not. As to FALL, I never recognized it in my country.
But then you may say: -"Oh, New York is also very hot in the Summer, and the same thing happens in many towns in Italy. It´s hot in Summer, you can´t help it, so what? What makes your country different and so "tropical"?
I know it´s not polite to answer a question with another question, but let me ask you one thing: -How long does Summer last in your country? I don´t know exactly, especially because I don´t know where you are, but in Brazil it lasts much more ... It can be very hot here for six months in succession, and then change for a little less hot during about three or four months. When is it a little cold? A few days. And when is it very cold? Never. This is possibly a good definition for a tropical country.
It´s hot now. We´re having beautiful weather and we´re wearing shorts and colorful clothes. We drink iced beer and talk at the cafés. It´s Spring!

2 comments:

Jessie said...

A friend of mine is currently in Brazil for a few months on holiday. It sounds wonderful. I look forward to his return to hear of the adventures he's had. To answer your question, in the part of NZ where I live the summer is so changeable. I have been here in Wellington for two summers. The first seemed incredibly long and hot, but then I had not experienced a summer for a while, having switched hemispheres in the preceding year. The second was very disappointing, lots of rain and wind and very little sun! My fingers are firmly crossed for this year.

Marlene said...

Jessie,
I´m sure your friend will have interesting things to tell. Brazil is interesting : not always funny, or beautiful, or comfortable, but we love it. It´s different.
Thanks for reading my things.