A SHAMAN

"A SHAMAN ... KNOWS THERE IS A SEA OF CONSCIOUNESS THAT IS UNIVERSAL EVEN THOUGH WE EACH PERCEIVE IT IT FROM OUR OWN SHOES, AN AWARENESS AND A WORLD THAT WE ALL SHARE, THAT CAN BE EXPERIENCED BY EVERY LIVING BEING, YET IS SELDOM SEEN BY ANY."



(VILLOLDO AND JENDRESEN)



The four winds

Friday, March 25, 2005

The building is still there, but I´m sure nobody would take the trouble to stop and take a look at it. It´s old, so old-fashioned, even ridiculous after it has been painted green and granted a title. “Blue Sea Hotel”, that´s what it says. It looks like a beggar whose clothes are too colorful and inadequate. We moved into its third floor when I was five or six years old – at the time it was a charming beige building and we were very excited about living there.

I remember my mother giving orders, boxes being opened and all the noise of heavy packages taking their places. For us, the children, everything was fun, a lot of fun. Old toys emerging from boxes, schedules being broken, and more than anything else, improvisation. Why do we always try to make our lives so permanently organized , when improvised meals taste so good?

We lived there for 13 years. Rio de Janeiro was a different city at the time, full of immigrants. Different languages were spoken in the houses of the girls I used to make friends with. And, there was a war going on. We were very far from it, but it was in the movies, in the newspapers, on the radio, in people´s conversation and in the heart of the families. Young men were being drafted and sent to distant places where they should perform actions they were certainly not prepared to perform. I saw them going and coming, I heard their fears and their jokes, I had my share of everything that happened , as if it were part of my education.

I was twelve years old when the end of the war was announced. I will never forget that moment, people looking at each other to believe it was true. And I will never forget, either, how long it took to erase the stains of the war. Maybe I can say that I grew up in the backstage of a war …

7 comments:

Ale Lima said...

It was thinking exactly writing about the past , but of good things and I came across myself with this text that I remember many things. What a pity that was a sad moment of your life, but was valid lesson... Thanks for your visit in my blog...Kisses

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Marlene,
You have tasted the magnitude of history in good time. How's your book coming along? Warmest wishes

Marlene said...

Oh,Susan,I´m trying to sell it in Brazil first, but it´s not an easy task. I´m on my own, you see. Then I´ll see what I´ll be able to do with other countries. I won´t give up thinking that Copacabana is unique and interesting for everybody to read about!

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Marlene, is there anything I can to help you from where I am here in London?
Would you like me to help post your manuscript to agents or publishers though authors need agents nowadays.
If you look at my web page, at the bottom is a link that take you to literary agents. Maybe you could see those you think may want to read your work? If I could help you with anything here in London, please let me know. best wishes

Marlene said...

Thanks so much. As soon as I get better from this very bad cold I´m having and be able to reason again I´ll get in touch.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Marlene,
Maybe I could help print your manuscript from here if you attach it for me and set it off to targeted literary agents.
Normally, they will sell the rights to America and other european countries/including Brazil for translation - which would definitely be an asset in your case. The difference about being published in London or New York straightaway is that your book gets distribution to several countries at one go. Or I could post you the copies of agents - otherwise it's all on the internet.
Your title sounds exotic and passionate. I have a keen interest as well to read what you have written. I'm sure you are going to make it soon as a published author. If you need any help from my side, please just ask.

The Saturnyne said...

Another great post, me darling.

I can almost smell the air in Brazil, the way you write.

Regarding publishers, i'm sure there's a book available with a huge list of contacts for all the ones available.

lotsa love and good luck. I'd dearly love to read that book!

If i can think of any good advice, i'll let you know right away.

S.xxx