A SHAMAN

"A SHAMAN ... KNOWS THERE IS A SEA OF CONSCIOUNESS THAT IS UNIVERSAL EVEN THOUGH WE EACH PERCEIVE IT IT FROM OUR OWN SHOES, AN AWARENESS AND A WORLD THAT WE ALL SHARE, THAT CAN BE EXPERIENCED BY EVERY LIVING BEING, YET IS SELDOM SEEN BY ANY."



(VILLOLDO AND JENDRESEN)



The four winds

Friday, July 23, 2004

DRIVING AGAIN

          DRIVING AGAIN

     Once I thought I would never drive a car again. I had  gone back to Rio, where I didn´t really need a car, with so many buses and so much danger when you´re driving. Fourteen years later, fourteen years older too, here I am, coming back to Brasilia, a city where everybody needs a car.
      At first I was insecure about my driving skills. What happens when you´re over sixty and you haven´t been using those skills for 14 years? “I have to renew my driving license”, I claimed, trying to gain time. I needed to take a breath before facing the traffic and the new roads. To tell you the truth, I only had time for a short breath – renewing the license was a quick action and then there I was behind the wheel, having my granddaughter in the back seat. Just the thought of my precious passenger made me tense and a bit afraid. It was too much of a responsibility for an unexperienced elderly driver.
      Then, just like magic, it happened. After a short prayer I found myself driving the car, using my hands and feet as if they were the ones who knew how to do it. It was a strange experience. I didn´t have to think. My hands and feet did the job, and my eyes helped them, watching attentively, of course.
      I expect to drive better and better – “practice makes perfect”, but for now, I feel I was able to overcome a challenge . Very good for a grandmother.

No comments: